Bugs and Compatibility issues
This applet has been tested on the following browsers, with results as described:
Please note that all testing took place on Microsoft® Windows NT/95TM machines. Other platforms were unfortunately not available.
- Microsoft® Internet ExplorerTM 5.0
Works perfectly. The fastest official browser tested. Download
- Microsoft® Internet ExplorerTM 4.0
Works perfectly. There is no reliable speed estimate, since the host machine was a very old machine...
- Netscape Navigator 4.0 Download See note
- Netscape Navigator 4.6 & 4.7 Download
Also work perfectly, although slightly slower then Internet Explorer.
- Netscape Navigator 6 Preview Release 1 Download
By far the fastest in executing Java Applets. About 30 percent faster then Internet Explorer. But one minor drawback: The status bar is not visible.
- Opera 4.0 Trial version. Only tried once, but seems to work fine. Opera uses the official Java distribution from Javasoft, which provides a fairly good Java implementation. Download
- Netscape 6 does not show progress indication.
- Some browsers do not update their console window while the simulation is running, therefor missing the dots showing progress. However, the final results are shown immediately after completion of the simulation.
- Only interesting for employees of PBC When using the applet from a Microsoft Windows NT Share, Internet Explorer cannot open help files. Netscape doesn't have this problem. It is caused by a bug in Explorer's Java implementation, which causes it to produce an incorrect URL. The hyperlinks on the HTML-pages surrounding the applet however function flawlessly.
Note for Netscape 4.0
Currently, only the 128-bit strong encryption version of Netscape 4.0 seems to be available. This (strong encryption) is no problem in most countries, however the US Government applies some restrictions. Please read them carefully and comply with them.
Copyright © 2000 Philips Business Communications, Hilversum, The Netherlands.
See legal statement for details